Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Beginning, Slow Start.

Grayson, showing his male junk.

Howdy,

It has officially been one week since I deleted my facebook account.  And let me tell you, deleting, or shall I say deactivating, is definitely the easiest part.  I guess what makes it even harder is that,
  1. I can always log back in, and it will be like nothing ever happened, like I didn't even try to break the vicious cycle. and
  2. that it's really difficult, almost impossible to communicate with anyone these days without facebook or any other social network access.  
I don't really have any real "good" reason for deleting it, other than the fact that I have no self-control what-so-ever! I was a total facebook addict.  I would constantly check it during my free time, and since I'm currently not working, that was a lot of, what I presumed to be "free" time, and my housekeeping was definitely below par.  So I figured that the best way to be kept accountable for my facebook addiction was to make a very public decision to deactivate it.  Since I don't want my "friends" to think that I'm a flake, I figured that I can at least go until Christmas without logging on.  But, as of now, we're taking it one day at a time.

 So now that I somewhat have a handle on my time wasting issues, I have decided to really start the home projects my husband and I planned in June.  Which is how the title of this post came about.  My new beginning is to upgrade our home while my husband is at work.  However, any home improvement project is always slower than one thinks. 

Since the economy is not treating anyone well, I decided to spruce up/organize our home in more affordable ways.  And as you probably already know, de-cluttering, painting and organizing are the least expensive ways to change a room. 

The first room to be subjected to the Miri Treatment was our guest bedroom.  We started by pulling everything out from all the nooks and crannies, including the closet, dresser  and night stand drawers, and of course, under the bed!  As we moved from area to area, we had a throw away box, a donation box and a keep box.  I was really hoping that the donation and throw away boxes would be bigger and for the most part, I don't think the keep box was too extreme.  After that, it was time to take out the furniture.  Which only consisted of a full size bed, night stand and dresser.  The dresser was too big to move into our hallway (temporary storage while the room was being painted) so we moved it to the middle of the room.

We finally got to painting and after about 1.5 coats of paint we're currently waiting for the walls to dry.  Tomorrow night, my husband and I will put the room back together!

I always feel like I should pass along various time saving or money saving tips I have learned along the way.  So here's what my husband and I lucked into as we were shopping at our local Home Depot.  Home Depot and Lowe's both have a pile of "oops" paint.  Oops paint is paint that was returned because it was mis-tinted/colored/match.  These cans are usually about 95 to 98% full.  And as luck will have it, my husband and I found 2 gallons of yellow paint that is a 95% match to  the paint chip we had chosen for our hallway! WHOOP!  It my not seem like a big deal, but oops paint is highly discounted.  You can get a gallon of paint for about $10. And if you really love the color, but you don't find enough, you can always have them match it and save some money in the process. 

So for today's post, I will add the only picture I have of our guest bedroom before the Miri Treatment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment