Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cliches Make the World Go Round.

Howdy!

As guess you can say that when I met my husband in February 2007, I was sending all the wrong signals.  I was a sophomore in college and he was a first year senior and I was trying something new.  I had decided to only carry a binder with my class notes and a small bag (purse) that had an anime-like cat stitched on it, and  a very controversial hot pink pin that reads "Another Vagina Warrior", rather than a full backpack.  My now husband being the nerd/cat lover that he is, thought I was his usual kinda gal, nerdy and a cat person.  However, that was, and for the most part, it's still not the case, (but I have become a bit more of a cat person since we have adopted 3),  but back then that's all it took for him to be intrigued and for us to play a back and forth "hard to get" tune for a full year.

I guess you can say that I too, like my husband, am a nerd.  However, we're definitely not in the same category of nerdy-ness. 

Here are a few examples of how we differ in nerdy-ness.

Husband: 
  1. Loves computers. And by that I mean building, changing
    adding, removing, deleting, and just all around messing with them.
  2. Enjoys anime
  3. Plays video games
  4. (and finally) has an obsession with keeping cables and wires (which more than once have come in handy, like when his friend came over and needed to plug his phone into a computer to retrieve information 
Wife (aka Me):
  1. I enjoy  documentaries
  2. Reading (to be very honest, I mostly miss college because of the extensive academic journal database I had free access to 24/7)
  3. Writing, hence the blog theses days. 
The Husband and I are definitely one of the the "Opposites Attract Couples."

But our biggest obstacle in the "opposites attract" category deals with organization, and how we want our home to look and what we want it to represent.  My husband has the hardest time getting rid of things.  Which would normally not be a problem, except, we have recently moved into his childhood home and we now have to clean out his old bedroom.  For starters, the bedroom is wallpapered with all kinds of posters. There are things hanging from the ceiling, old baseball caps (which he never wears), toys he didn't know he still had, and clothes that are either outdated or he will never fit into them again.  But trying to get him to donate anything is incredibly difficult.

Here's an example of what we go through on a regular basis when organizing.

If I ask, " hey hunny-nerd, can I donate this t-shirt? it's hardly worn, so it would definitely make a great donation".

He says, "Oh, let me see it! Umm no, well what do you think?, I was hoping to save it and make a t-shirt quilt out of it".

Nevermind he has a t-shirt fetish and there are a plethora of t's to choose from, the shirt isn't even a great one, but I can't SEW for the life of me! Like not even a button!  Mostly because I get this weird feeling in one of my eyes that the needle is going to go straight through it!!!  Maybe if I had a sewing machine, I could look up a tutorial (which I have) and maybe give it a shot.  Because paying someone to do it is really expensive.  I've looked up several places and it's over $150 to make anything decent!

I, on the other hand, am totally on the wasteful side.  I go into these rages of desperation and I just throw everything in a box and give it away.  It's mostly things that I haven't used in a while, but sometimes, I just get rid it so I don't have to see it and find a place for it anymore. 
Halloween 2009
However, being different is what keeps us going strong.  I love that he is more outgoing than I am.  The toy and Halloween isles at any store is a playground, and I must admit, I have joined him in a plastic sword fight more than once.  Halloween is definitely a big deal for him, and I have become a fan of it myself. Well minus the scary movies which I can't do.  I can definitely appreciate the computer nerd in him. I cannot, for the life of me, do anything more than turn on my computer and goof around.  But I think he also appreciates that I'm more grounded.  (I feel like I talk more about my husband than myself in this post, but I guess it's more difficult to describe myself). 

No comments:

Post a Comment